Honenu objects to Indor’s transfer from hospital

Yehiel Indor, hospitalized; Photo credit: Free use

Sunday, August 13, 2023, 14:50 Following the transfer of Yehiel Indor, who was seriously injured in an attack by dozens of rioting Arabs near Oz Tzion, from Sha’arei Tzedek Hospital to the Prison Service, Honenu filed an urgent request with the Jerusalem Magistrates Court for a reexamination of the decision to extend his remand. In the request, Honenu Attorney Adi Keidar stated that Indor’s family informed him that the GSS and the police pressured the hospital to release Indor from further necessary medical treatment.

The request reiterates that the Magistrates and District Court dealt only with Indor’s remand conditions while he was in the hospital and not with his medical condition. Currently, now that he has been transferred from the hospital, his fitness for remand must be examined and his medical condition must be immediately evaluated. Indor is still recovering from complex neurosurgery and therefore his life could be endangered.

Yehiel Indor’s serious head injury; Photo credit: Free use

Honenu Attorney Adi Keidar, who is representing Yehiel Indor, stated, “After the surprising transfer of the detainee from the hospital to the detention center, we filed an urgent request with the Magistrates Court to verify what his remand conditions will be and to ascertain whether the transfer is unavoidable. In light of his serious head injury, the possibility of risk to his life must be examined. This is a basic request and we will demand it in court.”

Earlier, the media publicized that the Prison Service pressured Sha’arei Tzedek Hospital, where Indor has been hospitalized since his injury, to release him to remand. According to the media, Sha’arei Tzedek was required not only to release the injured patient but also to refrain from recommending further medical treatment that would require a stay in the clinic.

On Friday, August 4, shortly before the onset of Shabbat, near Oz Tzion in the Binyamin region, dozens of Arab rioters attacked a Jewish shepherd and local Jewish residents who came to his assistance. The incident began when the Jewish shepherd left Oz Tzion to graze his flock in the area between Oz Tzion and the nearby Arab town of Burqa. Several Arabs approached and threatened him. The shepherd, who felt that he was in danger, summoned other Oz Tzion residents who came to stay with him and prevent the situation from deteriorating.

Dozens of Arabs armed with clubs, fireworks, and large rocks surrounded the Oz Tzion residents. The Arabs launched fireworks directly at the residents and hurled the rocks at them from point-blank range, endangering their lives. The residents called the army and civilian security forces for help. One resident (Yehiel Indor) was hit in the head with a rock and seriously injured. With his remaining strength, he opened fire with his legally-owned personal weapon to defend his life. Several other residents were slightly injured. According to media reports, one of the Arab rioters was killed. Elisha Yered, who transported Indor to an ambulance, and Indor were detained.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.