The whereabouts of two supposedly released youths are still unknown

Monday, August 13, 21:49 R., the 16.5 year old youth detained yesterday during a family vacation in the north of Israel on suspicion of involvement with a mosque arson, and released today in the early afternoon, “disappeared” ever since the announcement of his release by the police. The Yehuda and Shomron Police Department has been having difficulty for 8 hours already in telling his parents where he is. A., an additional youth who was detained today, interrogated and released according to an announcement made by the police, has also “disappeared”. In a conversation with A.’s parents the interrogators at the police station at which A. was interrogated, told the parents he had been released and traveled with R. and his parents. Being as R.’s parents are still on vacation in the north, there is a severe problem with this account of the situation.
Yesterday R. was detained in the middle of a family vacation in the north of Israel. At the entrance to the Kinar Beach an unmarked police car stopped the family car and plain-clothes policemen detained R., who was taken to the Russian Compound in Jerusalem. In response to a question asked by his parents the police answered that R. was suspected of involvement with a mosque arson. The arson incident occurred in Kfar Jaba in the Binyamin region approximately two months ago, supposedly in protest of the evacuation of the Ulpana Neighborhood in Beit El.
Today the police announced that R. would be released after completion of the interrogation, at approximately one o’clock in the afternoon. Since then all traces of R. have disappeared. His parents, who were on vacation at the time in the north of Israel, sent their daughter and her husband to sign the release papers for R. When the they arrived at the Russian Compound detention center they were told that there is no detainee fitting the identity of R. and there is no additional information.
The family turned to Honenu for advice and were advised to go directly to the Central Unit of the Yehuda and Shomron Police Station in Ma’ale Adumim where R. had been interrogated. When they arrived at the station they turned to the chief investigative officer on site. He told them that the youth had been released already at five o’clock and that he has nothing to add. Despite the pleas made by R.’s brother-in-law, the policeman stuck to his statement and eventually simply left the scene.
Hours passed and R. still had not been found. Honenu advised R.’s sister to return to the Russian Compound and file a missing person complaint on R. After the complaint had been filed, at about eight thirty in the evening, the policeman on duty called the chief investigative officer at the Central Unit of the Yehuda and Shomron Police. The officer, who said that R. had been released at five o’clock, told the policeman on duty that an hour ago (approximately 19:30) R. had been dropped off at the entrance to Mevaseret Tzion (a town just outside of Jerusalem).
After a short while the chief investigative officer at the Central Unit of the Yehuda and Shomron Police Station corrected himself. This time he said that R. was dropped off at the entrance to Jerusalem. R.’s sister and her husband attempted to ask whether or not he had or a cell phone in order to make contact with his family or sufficient money for bus fare. The policeman on duty said that he was unable to give any additional information.
A., an additional youth detained today in Ramat Migron and interrogated at the Central Unit of the Yehuda and Shomron Police Station, was also supposed to be released today upon completion of his interrogation, at least according to the police. After several hours passed and the youth did not return home, his parents called the Central Unit of the Yehuda and Shomron Police Station and inquired as to his whereabouts. The policemen told them that their son had been released at eight o’clock in the evening. When his parents asked how he had left the station, they replied that he had left with R. and his parents, who had come to release R.. Needless to say R.’s parents are still on a family vacation in the north and R., as stated above, still hasn’t been located.
Honenu is appalled at the recent course of events and is unceasingly trying to locate R. Many volunteers are combing the area of the entrance to Jerusalem in search of R., who has not answered his cell phone since his release. It is still not known whether or not he even has his cell phone on him. According to attorney Ben-Gvir, who is handling the case on behalf of Honenu, the conduct of the police leaves no choice other than to petition the Supreme Court in order to force the police to locate the youths.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.