Youth detained on suspicion of planning “price tag” incident released

Friday, March 15, 11:32 In a deliberation which took place behind closed doors on Thursday, March 14 at the Petah Tikva Magistrate Court, Judge Nitza Maimon-Shashua ruled that a 16 year old youth detained on suspicion of involvement with planning arson will be released to house arrest at his parents’ house. The minor’s remand has been extended twice, after the other four detainees involved with the case had been released to a short house arrest. The judge stated that an additional remand extension would be an unacceptable use of pressure.
On Thursday, March 7 a deliberation took place at the Petah Tikva Magistrate Court on the remand extension of two detainees in the Geulat Tzion case, two days after the first youth involved with the case, a 15 year old, had already been released to his home. At the end of the deliberation Judge Nachum Sternlicht released the two other detainees to house arrest after, according to him, there had been no progress made in the investigation. During the deliberation, Yassam (Special Police Unit) policemen arrived and after the deliberation had ended detained one of the detainees’ friends who was present at the deliberation. The 16 year old was detained on suspicion of involvement with the Geulat Tzion case and was taken to the GSS facility in the Kishon detention center in Acco. The youth was held in a cell with conditions suitable for holding terrorists.
Later the youth was twice brought to the Petah Tikva Magistrate Court where his remand was extended. According to the police, they did not have any new evidence connecting him to the act of which he was accused, but the police were demanding that the court extend his remand in order to facilitate carrying out several investigative procedures.
As stated above on Thursday, March 14 the police demanded a third remand extension on the youth. Judge Maimon-Shashua rejected the demand because there had not been any progress in the investigation and the the status of the youth was no different than that of the other youths who had already been released. The judge also added that additional days in remand would comprise illegitimate pressure on an interrogatee. Additionally, the court rejected the police demand to delay releasing the youth until they filed an appeal with the district court. In the end, the police decided not to file an appeal on the magistrate court’s decision. Honenu attorney Adi Kedar represented the youth.
Honenu welcomes the decision to release the minor. “The police attempted to draw out the remand and apply illegitimate pressure on a youth who was detained and held in harsh conditions reserved for the worst of terrorists. We are pleased that yet another detainee needlessly held in remand due to unreasonable demands by the police has been released and we hope that this is the last case of this sort.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.