12 detained in protests after murder of Jewish father of five children

Wednesday, May 1, 11:10 Following the murder of Eviyatar Borovsky hy”d, on the morning of Tuesday, April 30 protests and disturbances broke out throughout Israel. In total 12 people were detained, among them 8 minors. Honenu asks, “Where were all the security forces at 8:00 A.M.?”
Twelve people were detained on Tuesday April 30 in various locations at demonstrations organized in protest of the murder of Eviyatar Borovsky hy”d. Following the the murder which occurred slightly after 8:00 A.M dozens of residents of Yitzhar, Borovsky’s community, protested at the intersections leading to the community and blocked roads to Arab traffic. Large numbers of police and army forces guarded the Arabs on the roads and diverted them to side roads as they held back the Yitzhar residents and drove them back into their community.
Three Yitzhar residents, all of them heads of household, were detained at the Yitzhar Junction on suspicion of throwing rocks at Arab vehicles. A resident of Sneh Ya’akov, a nearby hilltop community, who was passing by the demonstration and asked the border policemen why the three were detained was beaten and also detained. Later the border policemen claimed that he was also involved with disturbing public order. Girls from the Ulpana Ma’aleh Levona high school arrived later, also to protest the lack of protection of Jewish life. Five girls were detained along with another youth who was present at the protest. The girls were charged with disturbing a policeman in the line of duty and assaulting a policeman. All of the detainees were taken to the Ariel Police Station.
In Jerusalem one minor, a high school yeshiva student at Yeshivat Yerushalayim L’Tzeirim in Kiryat Moshe, Jerusalem, was detained after the police claimed that he and his friends had assaulted two plain-clothes Arab police detectives in protest of the murder. The detained youth is a resident of Yitzhar. According to the police the detainee and four of his friends, who fled the scene, participated in the assault. Despite combing the area the police were not able to locate and detain other youths.
On the same day during the early evening hours a protest was held at Tapuah Junction, the site of the murder. Hundreds of residents of the area communities arrived to protest the government’s preference for a hands-off policy towards the Arab residents of Yehuda and Shomron instead of protecting Jews. One youth was detained during the protest.
Four of the girls from Ulpana Ma’aleh Levona detained at the Yitzhar Junction were released throughout the day. The youth detained with them was also unconditionally released. The remainder of the detainees will be brought to the Jerusalem and Petah Tikva Magistrate Courts later in the day. Honenu attorney David HaLevi will represent the four detainees from Yitzhar and the student from Yeshivat Yerushalayim L’Tzeirim at the Jerusalem Magistrate Court. The girl from Ulpanat Ma’aleh Levona accused of assaulting a policeman will be represented by Honenu attorney Yossi Lin at the Petah Tikva Magistrate Court.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.