Harassment of Sandak case protesters continues

Since the death of Ahuvia Sandak, z”l, who was tragically killed in a police car chase on Tevet 6 5781/ December 21, 2020, Honenu has been representing those who are insisting on the investigation of the incident and defending the many who are detained while demonstrating for change in police behavior. The car Ahuvia was in with four other boys overturned when the police car collided with it from behind. Please click here for a list of posts connected to the case.

Ahuvia Sandak, z”l; Photo courtesy of the family

Thursday, January 12, 2023, 9:09 At a demonstration marking two years since the death of Ahuvia Sandak, z”l, and protesting the cover-up in the investigation of the policemen involved, several dozen right-wing activists demonstrated in Kfar Yona opposite the home of a Yehuda and Shomron policeman last Saturday night (January 7), after Shabbat. Several minutes later, large numbers of police forces arrived and declared that the demonstration was an “illegal gathering”. The policemen brought police dogs and intimidated the protesters. A car parked on the side of the road by one of the activists was meticulously examined. Traffic police at the site said that it wasn’t fit to drive due to a “tire not in working order”. When the activist went to a garage the next day to have the tire repaired, it turned out that it was in good condition.

At the beginning of the week, several Yehuda and Shomron policemen arrived at the home of the activist and informed him that he was being taken in for interrogation, despite the fact that they did not have the appropriate warrant. The activist explained that he was watching his children, but they threatened him with detention if he did not leave with them. The activist was taken to the Nationalistic Crime Department at the Yehuda and Shomron District Police Station.

Scene of the car-ramming; Photo credit: Free use

At his interrogation, the activist was told that he was suspected of making threats and participating in an illegal protest opposite the house of a policeman. The activist refused to cooperate with the interrogation and said that he would not deal with the policemen responsible for the death of Ahuvia. Several hours later, the activist was released in Ma’aleh Adumim and forced to return home on his own, while wearing only the clothes he had on indoors earlier that morning.

The activist spoke after his interrogation: “Policemen from the Yehuda and Shomron Police rammed into my friends’ car, injured them, and ignored Ahuvia’s body that was left under his car for a long time. This gang should be closed down and all of its members should be penalized for their war on hilltop youths.”

Honenu Attorney Adi Keidar, who provided the activist with legal counsel, stated, “The heavy-handed law enforcement against right-wingers includes severe violations of their freedom of expression and right to protest. We condemn and regard with severity the interrogation. This policy must be completely eliminated.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.