IDF trainer tried to break up clash, was detained

Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 8:57 On Shabbat (Saturday), August 2 clashes broke out between dozens of youth from the Arab village of Yasuf and youth from the Jewish community K’far Tapuah in the Shomron. The youth from Tapuah tried to hold back the youth from Yasuf who approached the spring adjacent to Tapuah. A Tapuah resident who for many years has trained IDF units, including preparing troops for entry to the Gaza Strip, was called to the scene. After attempting to calm the situation the IDF trainer was detained with his 16 year old son.
Army and police forces who arrived on the scene separated the sides. The police detained the IDF trainer and his son. The following day, Sunday, August 3 they were brought to a deliberation at the Petah Tikva Magistrate Court.
Honenu attorney Adi Kedar, who is representing both of the detainees, pleaded during the deliberation that there was no cause for continuing their remand. The police had already requested that the 16 year old son be released on condition of confinement to Tapuah for one month and posting a large bail. At the end of the deliberation he was released on condition of being banned from entering Tapuah for one month and posting a large bail.
During the deliberation it became known to the court that the youth’s father has been an IDF trainer for many years and recently trained forces for entry into the Gaza Strip during Operation Protective Edge.
He stated during his interrogation that he informed the relevant authorities of an incident transpiring between Jewish and Arab youths, went to the site and asked the Jewish youths to return to Tapuah in order not to fall into the trap set by the Arab youths, who were armed with clubs. According to eye witness accounts from Tapuah residents some of the soldiers recognized the IDF trainer as someone who had trained them. Despite this information Judge Nitza Maimon-Shashua ruled that the IDF trainer’s remand would be extended by one day and then he would be released.
During the night between Sunday, August 3 and Monday, August 4 the police detained an additional Tapuah resident approximately 30 years of age. After a discussion with Ariel Police investigators Honenu attorney Adi Kedar was informed that the second detainee would be released with the first, on condition of a restraining order banning them from entering the site of the clash. The two detainees were released on the evening of Monday, August 4, before the Tisha B’Av fast began.
Honenu attorney Adi Kedar: “The police have quickly returned to their scandalous conduct. At the time of a security incident in which dozens of Arabs are attacking a Jewish community the police decide to detain in particular an IDF officer with a long history and rich experience in the army who tried to calm the situation.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.