One month after serious assault, no detentions

Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 16:46 One month after a Jewish youth was seriously assaulted by several Arabs in the Binyamin region – on June 26 – there have been no reports of any suspects detained. Honenu Attorney Chayim Bleicher sent a letter to the Internal Security Minister, Gilad Erden, requesting his assistance in advancing the investigation.
In his letter Bleicher leveled criticism at the inaction of the police: “A month has passed since the incident and despite the serious assault, which could have resulted in murder, and despite the identification of the assailants, to the best of my knowledge no detentions have been carried out and neither has there been suitable police activity in response to the nature of the incident and its severity.
“We reiterate that the youth was assaulted approximately three weeks ago when he was staying at the Oz Tzion outpost near Givat Assaf in the Binyamin region. Several Arabs approached him, threw rocks at him and then beat him with clubs until he collapsed. After he succeeded in calling for help the youth was hospitalized with cuts to his head, fractured ribs and pneumothorax (abnormal collection of air in the chest cavity) resulting from a punctured lung. While he was still at the scene, the injured youth identified his assailants, despite the fact that they had showered and changed their clothes, and reported the information to the police. On the day after the assault the police summoned only the father of the assailants, and only for interrogation.
“As stated above, as of this time there have been no reports of any suspects detained for the assault, despite the fact that they were identified by the assaulted youth, by a security officer who arrived first on the scene and by soldiers who were in the area.”
Three weeks after the assault, Honenu Attorney Chayim Bleicher sent an urgent letter to the Yehuda and Shomron District Police Commander.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.