Acco terrorist might be released to house arrest

Mor Janashvilli (seated in wheelchair) and his brother; Photo credit: Honenu

Please click here for a list of posts relating to the mid-May Arab rioting throughout Israel and here for a list of posts relating to cases in which Honenu has represented victims of rock or Molotov cocktail attacks.

Monday, January 3, 2022, 15:02 At the conclusion of a hearing in late December 2021, Haifa District Court Judge Nitzan Silman authorized a request by Kusai Abbas for a referral to the Probation Service for an expert opinion, without which he cannot be released to house arrest, and which is likely to pave the way for it. Abbas is one of the perpetrators of the attempted murder of Mor Janashvilli in a terror attack in Acco on May 12, 2021, during Operation Guardian of the Walls.

Honenu Attorney Chayim Bleicher, who is representing Janashvilli, strongly censured the decision: “In and of itself, examining the possibility of releasing a merciless and dangerous terrorist of the defendant’s sort is harmful and shows weakness in the face of terror and terrorists. It is important to reiterate, repeatedly, that the victim here is Mor, whom the terrorist, with his fellow terrorists, viciously beat. Mor almost lost his life and now he is disabled. Terrorists must not be allowed to celebrate in their homes while Israeli citizens are abandoned.”

At the beginning of the hearing, Janashvilli’s mother collapsed at the entrance of the courtroom due to the stress and turmoil and was evacuated to the hospital. During the hearing, the terrorist’s attorney asked the court to consider alternatives to remand. The office of the Attorney General opposed the request, recalling the motive for the attempted murder and the extreme cruelty with which it was committed.

At the end of the hearing, Janashvilli spoke before Judge Silman and requested that the terrorist be left in remand: “Enough. You are shedding my blood again and again. He should be in prison for the rest of his life. I don’t have a life. I have been quiet, but no more. We are talking about a terrorist here, and a terrorist should be in prison until the end of his life. It’s his problem that he did something like this.”

During Arab rioting at the time of Operation Guardian of the Walls, Janashvilli was attacked by dozens of Arab rioters who pelted his car with large rocks, heavy furniture, and anything else they could get their hands on. Janashvilli lost control of his car and drove it into a wall. He fled his car with his hands over his head, and then an Arab mob beat him with metal and wooden bars, punched him and kicked him until he collapsed on the ground in a semi-conscious state. Janashvilli resigned himself to a horrible death and then felt his face being cut with a knife. He was saved at the last moment, apparently by Arabs who rescued him from the site and called the emergency services. He was evacuated by ambulance to the hospital, suffering from bruises on his entire body, broken bones, cuts on his face, partial paralysis in his left leg, headaches and dizziness.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.