Another suspect in Bisset murder case released

Atty. Bleicher (L) with members of the Bisset family; Photo credit: Honenu

Please click here for a list of posts relating to the mid-May Arab rioting throughout Israel.

Monday, September 6, 2021, 13:45 After his remand was extended twice – see here and here for more details – Iman Abu Sif, a 19-year-old youth suspected of murdering Destau Bisset, z”l, in Ramle during Operation Guardian of the Walls, was released from remand to house arrest this morning (Monday). The Bisset family is furious, and claims that the investigating authorities have failed in their duty and that the investigation must be transferred to the GSS.

Yesterday, as a last resort, the family sent a letter to Nadav Argaman, the head of the GSS, requesting that the authority enter the investigation. The family wrote that the police are absolutely sure that they have apprehended the murderer, but because of difficulty with evidence, he is expected to be released, and that the GSS has the capabilities to solve the murder.

After the suspect was released, the family made a statement: “For months the law enforcement authorities and the State have been giving the impression that they are seriously working on the case. Today we discovered that in fact we have been misled, and nothing substantial has been done to solve the case. The failure of this case started from the moment of the incident, and continues to this day. The police do not have the tools to solve the case, and the Prime Minister and the authorities are refusing to transfer the investigation to the GSS, which is capable of bringing about an indictment of the suspect.

“Today, more than ever, we understand that what a bereaved family is experiencing does not really interest you. Indeed, this is just another murder in an Ethiopian family, and nobody is genuinely investing effort and resources in apprehending suspects. They are deceiving a family and causing even greater suffering.”

The Bisset family added, “But you have erred. We will continue our tremendous efforts until the despicable murderers who killed our beloved father are apprehended and sitting behind bars. We are ashamed of you, of all of the law enforcement authorities and of the government of Israel. You abandoned us in the field; our father’s blood is boiling in the earth. You are about to enjoy the [Rosh HaShana] holiday with your families, but you have destroyed our holiday. We will neither be silent nor rest until justice is done.”

Destau Bisset, Hy”d; Photo courtesy of the family

Destau Bisset, z”l, age 74, was run over by two Arabs riding electric bicycles in Ramle in May, during Operation Guardian of the Walls, and succumbed to his injuries approximately three weeks later. Eyewitnesses to the incident stated that the cyclists intentionally collided with Bisset, attempted to run over people waiting at a bus station and then fled the scene.

In late July, the police detained a 16-year-old suspected of the murder, but to the dismay of the family, released him after approximately one week of remand. See here and here for more details.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.