Remand of suspect in vehicular arson extended

Thursday, February 23, 18:08 Honenu reports that in a deliberation which took place today (Thursday) at the Jerusalem Magistrate Court the remand of A’, a Havat Gilad resident who was arrested on suspicion of involvement with setting a police car on fire approximately eight months ago, has been extended by four days.
Approximately eight months ago large numbers of police and Civil Administration forces arrived in the community of Alei Ayin, near Shiloh in the Binyamin region, in the early morning in order to destroy several structures. Residents of the community and additional residents from nearby communities gathered in the site scheduled for destruction and blocked the roads leading to it. The police forces broke through the barriers using especially severe violence which included usage of batons and throwing stun grenades and fire-crackers at the residents. A “HaKol HaYehudi” reporter who documented the violence was arrested and his camera confiscated. See here.
During the incident dozens of residents were injured by the policemen. One of the injured was evacuated for medical treatment in hospital.
When the destruction was over the police car belonging to the Binyamin Region Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Yoram Akua, was set on fire when it was unmanned and parked on the side of the road.
Five youths who were arrested on suspicion of the vehicular arson were unconditionally released after a short time after no connection between them and the incident was found. Three of them were arrested again after approximately two weeks and also released. See here.
Yesterday A’, a 22 year old Havat Gilad resident, was arrested on suspicion of involvement with the incident. In a deliberation which took place at the Jerusalem Magistrate Court the police demanded a five-day remand extension. The judge decided to extend A’s remand until Sunday. Honenu attorney David HaLevi will represent the arrestee.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.